KNOPPIX 5.1 Released!
Sunday, December 31, 2006
Finally, it's done. Just in the past couple of months, there has been quite a lot of new and exciting development in the GNU/Linux world, which of course should also be present in the current Knoppix version. Even that some of the new and optional features (like the 3d-desktop beryl) are still in experimental stage. Repeatedly, new Kernel-/KDE-/OpenOffice releases have spoilt our planned release dates, but on the other hand, now all these are available in the new release as well (2GB of software on CD, 10GB on DVD)...
(Apart from the usual tons of updates and bugfixes)
- Update to Debian etch/testing as base distribution
- Linux Kernel 2.6.19(.1) + fuse 2.6.1
- cloop 2.05 Realtime Decompression with extended block-buffering for reduction of CD/DVD access latency
- Replacing unionfs by aufs for better stability & performance
- KDE 3.5.5
- OpenOffice 2.1
- ntfs-3g (12.12.2006) for full transparent NTFS write support, also tested with boot options knoppix tohd= and knoppix fromhd=. Please note the hints about ntfs-3g below.
- ntfsprogs-Update (ntfsresize, ntfsmount, ntfsfix)
- integration of 3D desktop beryl+emerald as add-on for KDE (manual start with gnome is also possible), via boot option knoppix desktop=beryl. Please note the hints given below.
- Experimental script for creating a bootable flash-pendrive from a running KNOPPIX live session (mkbootdev by Martin Öhler)
Of course, this is all from the official Knoppix 5.1 release notes! Check them out @ Knopper.net. Or head on over to the mirrors list!