openSUSE 10.2 Beta 1 Released!
Thursday, October 26, 2006
openSUSE 10.2 Beta 1 is released Today!
From the release announcement:
I'm glad to announce the first beta of openSUSE 10.2 codename Basilisk Lizard.
openSUSE 10.2 Beta1 contains a large number of enhancements and updates done by the open source community and Novell's development teams.
We have i386 and x86-64 medias available for download, there's no PowerPC distribution since the installation fails on that platform (Bug #213873).
I'd like to point out especially the following significant changes for openSUSE 10.2 from our list of updates of all open source subcomponents, integration of new subcomponents and improvements in
- Linux Kernel 22.214.171.124
- glibc 2.5
- Firefox 2.0
- GNOME 2.16.1
- KDE 3.5.5
- X11 R7.2 RC
- both KDE and GNOME feature improved start menus compared to
- improved desktop effects (compiz 0.2)
- OpenOffice.org 2.0.4
- Koffice 1.6
- Using opensync instead of multisync for much better syncing between mobile devices and software.
- numerous improvements to our package manager stack, including a new update notification applet (opensuse-updater) and a console application called zypper which are non-zmd based. The update
stack has been improved in both features and speed.
- integration of powermanagement features into hal
See also http://en.opensuse.org/Factory/News - and the ChangeLog file
on the first media of each set for a really detailed overview.
Read the FULL release announcement here (Links to download in release announcement).